Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Portomarin a Arzua

Day 4 -- Portomarin a Arzua.

Day 4 was a day of unexpected surprises and simple joy. I was gifted with the deep joy that comes from just being present to the moment, and being able to recognize the blessing of each moment and each encounter along the Camino.

Waking with the strong remembrance of yesterday's ride, I held my breath as I began my day. Not sure how the leg was going to feel after its little rest (it was still achy when I went to bed last night), not sure what the weather was going to -- more rain? more fog? cold? I had a calmness within me as I approached the day. I also had an excited giddiness within me...today was a day when we had the choice to either ride on the road, taking a less-challenging and slightly shorter route...OR...ride on the Camino at a slower pace and on a slightly longer route.

I didn't even have to think about it...Camino...definitely Camino. The slower pace and the scenic (though challenging), mountain-bike-type path called to me. I was so excited to be on the Camino again after being on the road, and in the van yesterday. There is something magical about that dirt path. The slower pace, the intentionality with which you need to pedal and navigate your way through the towns and countryside -- over rocks and stones, along cobblestones, among the local people, and amidst the other pilgrims. Intentionality...being keenly aware of where you are, what you are doing, and why you are doing it. Joyful intentionality.

As we set out of Portomarin, we were riding in a fog. I was tentative on the bike, not wanting to overstress my hamstring, but my heart soared and I was open to whatever was in store for me. Slowly and steadily, I eagerly headed down the hill and out of town. The group was all smiles knowing that today would be an "easy ride" compared to yesterday's very challenging route.

The fog was heavy as we left Portomarin, which is apparently a typical weather pattern since it sits high in the Galecian mountains. As we ventured down through the valley, though, the sun broke through the clouds, the blue sky shone overhead, and landscape was breathtaking. Rolling hills, lush green farms, quaint mountain towns, cobblestone paths, babbling brooks. It was simply stunning. As I rode slowly over the "rollers" (uphill then downhill, then uphill and downhill...like a rollercoaster), I couldn't help smiling at the amazing beauty surrounding me. As I rode along, I met two girls from Ireland who had begun their pilgrimage at the top of O Cebriero. We chatted excitedly about our home countries, our rides, our challenges along the ride (Ooooohhh Cebreiro!), and about our reasons for journeying to Santiago. I was so grateful for the chance to hear their stories, and recognized the light within them, in their smiles, their enthusiasm, and their care for each other (and their friendship). What a lovely way to begin the day!

I feel in love more deeply with Galecia and Spain on Day 4. As I made my way along the Camino, I was full of joy and gratitude for the beautiful hillcountry, lovely people, amazing stories, surprising connections that met me at every turn of the pedals.

Some of the highlights of the day included...

*meeting another pilgrim, who has been walking the Camino for almost a month no, who was also from Washington State. What a small world! Who would have thought that I'd meet someone else from WA at a tiny pilgrim's watering hole in the north of Spain. Whoa!

* having a picnic lunch at a medieval Castle -- it was closed for the daily siesta when we were there, but it was gorgeous and remarkable to be sitting in such an historical spot;

* lush, green, rolling farmlands as far as the eye could see;

* learning the stories of other pilgrims along the road;

* cobblestone bridges leading into and out of quaint mountain villages;

* spending the night in an old farmhouse complex -- the main house was converted to a lodge, and we stayed in the "servants' quarters which were in long buildings surrounding the main house;

* walking through the countryside in Arzua with two of my cycling companions, noting the similarities and differences between the Spanish, Canadian, and U.S. cultures;

* sharing a relaxing and scrumptious dinner with the group, full of laughter and great conversation;

* seeing countless stars in the night sky!! & being lulled to sleep by cowbells.

Day 4...a day of intentionality, JOY, and so much gratitude for life and creation.
gratitude

Blessings to you, and Buen Camino!

No comments:

Post a Comment